By Sophie Ashley
Are you bored, sitting in your bed all day, not knowing what to do with yourself? With all this free time, there are so many things we can do to have fun. Here are a few suggestions:
- Get creative! I love to paint but have never been able to find time with all of my schoolwork, until now. It is the perfect time for all of us to find some hobbies, whether they may be painting, knitting, drawing or playing sports.
- Catch up on your favorite television series. I recommend the television show “All American.” Others in my family are enjoying “The Morning Show” and “Ozark.” While it isn’t good to be cooped up in your room all day watching TV, it can be nice to watch an episode here and there.
- Bake some treats. Baking is very relaxing, and I have made so many things that fill my house with a nice, sweet smell. They also taste incredible. I baked cinnamon muffins that were delicious, and my family devoured them all the same day I made them. To make the muffins, the first step is to preheat your oven to 375 degrees and grease your muffin tin. Next, combine two cups of flour, one cup of sugar, four teaspoons of baking powder, one tablespoon of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of salt. In another bowl, beat together one cup of milk, half a cup of vegetable oil and two eggs. Then, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir just until combined. After the batter is made, divide it into the muffin tins. In another bowl, combine two tablespoons of sugar with one teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the batter-filled cups. Lastly, bake the muffins for 13-15 minutes. Enjoy!
- Play games with your family. This is a great time to dust off those old board games. After a family dinner, we like to pull out a game. I’ve been improving my poker game lately.
- Switch up your room or organize. We are all in our rooms so much more due to the pandemic, and you need a clean room to have a clean mind while doing your schoolwork. Rearrange your furniture, hang up some LED lights or get rid of all that clutter!
- Get active. Go for a family walk or bike ride. Offer to take your dog on a walk. It is the perfect way to go outside and get some exercise. Take advantage of that basketball hoop or jump on the trampoline. Also, workout instructors have been posting classes online to help people stay active. There are tons of videos on YouTube for yoga sessions and other workouts that you can easily find. Instagram users are also going live so people can workout with the help of experts. For example, Women’s Health Magazine (@womenshealthmag) goes on Instagram live for 15-30 minutes per class, twice a day. Rumble (@doyourumble), Bandier (@bandier), Barry’s Bootcamp (@barrys), Equinox (@equinox) and many other exercise companies also go live on Instagram. You can look up their username and you should be able to find tons of workouts to follow.
- Watch movies with your friends. We should all be staying in our houses, but there is a way to watch a movie with your friends. It is called Netflix Party. You can watch the movie at the same time as your friends and live chat with them even though you are in different houses.
Despite this unusual situation, there is a bright side if we take this rare opportunity to relax, try new things, and be with loved ones.